Monday, March 2, 2009

Hello Again!

Hey Everyone!
It's me...Joni...I am still alive!
It's been 8 weeks today since the surgery and I finally feel like I can begin to communicate again!
I am doing okay...getting stronger everyday.
Clay took me to my first doctor's appointment last Thursday, the 26th. We waited for 2 hours and 15 minutes and saw Dr. Shelton for about 8 minutes. He said I was on track with my recovery. No big announcements. But I wanted him to say, "It looks like you have 2 more weeks and then you will be back to normal"...but no such luck. He couldn't give us a real time-frame because everyone is different. Again he said it could take weeks or months which is what he was telling us at the hospital! Ughh!! But I will try to continue learning patience...even if it kills me! haha.
I also had a hearing test that day and it was determined that I had lost the remainder of the hearing in my right ear.
The doctor had hoped that with the method of surgery he performed that he could save the remainder of the hearing. It was about 30% remaining, he said I could get a hearing aid and have use of the hearing on my right side. For whatever reason the doctor was surprised that it hadn't worked out as he thought.
So I was frustrated over that for a few hours. But then I recalled my pre-surgery statement that if when after this was all over, I had only lost my hearing in that ear, I would be okay with that.
And that is true. Daily I remind myself how much worse this could be. How grateful that the doctor tells me the paralysis to the right side of my face and not being able to see normally out of
my right eye is only temporary...it will improve...eventually! ;!
Last Saturday Clay drove me to Logan to visit Barb, Lane & Brooke...I know I am not objective, but she is the cutest baby!! She makes me smile...at least on the left side of my face.
It is frustrating to not be able to smile fully. And don't take blinking your eyes for granted...when I shower I get water and soap in my eye because I forget to hold my eyelid shut! I also have to keep ointment in my eye because it dries out constantly if I don't. Just some of the little challenges I face...nothing major, just little things that remind me to be grateful for good health.
Also, thank you to all that have sent your love, support and happy thoughts to us...you will never know how much it has meant to me! I believe it will take the rest of my life to return the love!
Thank you for everything...it is so appreciated.
Clay wants me to take over this blog, so I will try to learn how to navigate through it all.
Take Luck!

As Always,
Joni ;!

3 comments:

  1. Love this post! Joni.... you are one of a kind!!!
    I love your family, more and more with each passing year. I hope we get to grow old close to each other. Henderson Family, you are so blessed to have JONI!
    Being a GRandma is the BEST thing ever. Fridays are my favorite days because I get to have Ellie all to myself! I know you know what I mean.
    Tell Barb.... she is a beauty... and so is her little doll!
    Love you all!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joni I dont know if you remember me but I went to School with Kelli and You know my mom Kayla Stott. We have been checking your blog to see how you are doing. We are glad to hear you are making improvements everyday. You are in our thoughts and Prayers. Best of luck with the Recovery.
    Kaylee and Kayla!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello beautiful Joni! It's good to hear things are going well and to remind myself not to take blinking and a full smile for granted. It really is the little things, isn't it? I had a dream about Barb and Brooke last night, I miss them! Brooke is a doll you are a lucky grandma! I miss you and hope you are feeling my love all the way from FL! Love you!

    ReplyDelete